Saturday 19 August 2017

yoga nonagenarian ...there are no limits... Tao Porchon-Lynch

Related imageI look with envy at the beautiful supple healthy 20/30 something yogis...who bend their bodies into seemingly impossible positions....
Its this that I aspire to be....
And lets face it ...its never going to happen...I am never going to look like that again ( not that I ever did!! )
But it definitely gives me the motivation to push forward with my yoga practice...
because at the end of the day...I will be the best version of me...
so imagine my surprise and delight when I came across this
well prepare to be amazed as I was, whilst flicking through some yoga articles I came across this amazing lady...Related image      
This amazing lady was born in 1918 and still teaches Yoga
And unlike the majority of all-natural, vegan yogis, Tao Porchon-Lynch wears big earrings, has brightly-painted nails, is always in high heels (well, except for when she’s doing yoga) and she loves wine.  She is definitely outside the box..bless her  


Tao Porchon-Lynch has always led an exotic life  - she was born in India, moved to London in 1940, danced for soldiers in Europe and then moved to Hollywood, during her fascinating life she’s spent time with Mahatma Gandhi, Noël Coward, Marilyn Monroe and the Dalai Lama.
It was whilst growing up in India that she discovered yoga: at the age of eight, she spotted boys on the beach contorting their bodies into strange poses. “I went to my aunt and said, ‘Can they let me be part of it?’ And she said: ‘That isn’t a game, it is yoga and it’s not for girls. It’s not ladylike.’ So I started doing it,” Porchon-Lynch told the New York Times.
Image result for tao porchon-lynch  free imageThis lady is a true inspiration to us all aspiring for that  healthy and long life...and she says that the ancient practice of yoga not only keeps her body young, but it improves her mind and soul as well....and adds that she eats small vegetarian meals and does not over eat or eat just for the sake of it..but that she enjoys a piece of chocolate
She admits that time has taken an inevitable toll on her health; just a few years ago, she had to have a total hip replacement, and in 2011 she broke her wrist... 
When I read this it certainly inspired me... especially as I am the other side of 50..and I often find myself wandering if I have left it too late to start a life and may be a career in this wonderful ancient practice.
'Tao's philosophy is: "There is nothing we cannot do if we harness the power within us."'


And if its good enough for Tao Porchon-Lynch.....

No comments:

Post a Comment