Tuesday 12 December 2017

sirsasana/ headstand

Sirsasana 1  +  2
( headstand )
Related imageImage result for sirsasana cartoon  Image result for sirsasana cartoon

So when I heard we were doing a headstand work shop I was quietly optimistic…
well lets face it…it was better than paper work!!!
Plus I actually enjoy doing them and I really want to improve my posture/alignment 

I prefer to do it tripod style ( 2 ) and find the other option really difficult ( so I guess I should be practising that one, but I think for now I will try to perfect my favourite one )
Class started with a few warm up poses, concentrating on specific body parts that would be involved in headstands.
Obviously avoiding over working and fatiguing  said parts
Core and shoulders/back need to be warm.
Downward facing dog to warm and stretch back and shoulders/neck and engage core.
Plank also good warm up, again warming shoulders/core.
Stretch into extended tadasana to stretch through shoulders/arms/neck/engage abs/stretch and lengthen through legs and engage glutes.
crow pose is also good to warm body in prep for headstand.
 Image result for sirsasana 2

for beginners or those who prefer support, this may be practised by a wall.

Keeping elbows shoulder-width apart, place hands on mat, palms down, fingers wide, making sure that pinkies are touching the ground. Place head on the ground and push lightly into hands. Tuck toes, lift hips for headstand prep. Breathe here for 5 deep breaths or until comfortable to move to the next step.
Walk feet in as close to elbows as possible and then, one at a time, lift heels close to butt. Breath here for at least 5 deep breaths or as long as is comfortable.
When you feel stable and ready, start to extend feet straight up over shoulders and hips until legs are long. You can point or flex feet. Breathe and enjoy the challenge
Benefits include: increased blood flow/nutrients/oxygen to head/face/scalp
Increases focus/relieves stress/improves digestion/stimulates lymphatic system
Strengthens shoulders/arms/develops core strength
Hold for 1-5 mins depending on your ability. This can be done every day.
I read somewhere that it can prevent hair going grey...
so onwards and upside down it is 😉

DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS IF YOU HAVE NECK ISSUES WITHOUT PROFFESIONAL ADVISE

No comments:

Post a Comment